Become a member
UKLF welcome full members and associate members. Full membership is appropriate for those companies directly involved in the manufacture of leather, whereas associate membership is reserved for associated industries and services. To download a membership application form, click here
Benefits of Membership
The UK Leather Federation is the representative body for the UK Leather Industry and offers a respected and authorative route to government, the European Commission and enforecement agencies, such as the Environment Agency.
UKLF provides an information and enquiry service on issues affecting the industry. Information is disseminated through regular updates by circular, newsletter and in response to individual member enquiries. Issues covered include:
• environmental legislation
• import, export and general trade matters
• raw material issues concerning supply, quality and price trends
• health and safety
• economic, market, and employment statistics
UKLF has input into key industry standards, with membership of the BSI and CEN committees that develop UK and European standards. We hold the secretariat of the International Council of Tanners, which agrees the industry position on a range of issues at global level.
Making your voice heard
UKLF represents the interests of UK leather industry on the national and international stage. We utilise our membership of the BATF, COTANCE, the European Tanners Association and collaboration with other trade associations, such as the UKFT and BFA, to broaden and add strength to our own representations in the UK and Europe. Ultimately, we help to influence the development of legislation affecting the industry.
In emergency situations – such as the BSE and Foot and Mouth Disease crises
UKLF represent the needs of the industry to government, to resolve problems and provide an authoritative two-way route for the flow of information.
Share best practice
We promote and support our members who share and follow best practice. We sit on the Footwear, Leather, Textiles and Clothing Health and Safety Committee, which brings together the expertise of the HSE, employers, the trade associations and unions, to develop guidance for the sector and organise a H&S conference every year.
UKLF members are entitled to:
• membership of the Leather Sector Climate Change Agreement (subject to eligibility) – to date, participants have made combined savings of nearly £250,000 from reductions in their Climate Change Levy bills
• an entry on the UK Leather Website Leather Sourcing Directory
• advice and assistance on all aspects of marketing and trading UK leather, including import and export certification of hides, skins and leather
• Membership benefits including discounts on insurance, courier costs, trade stand exhibitions, hotel accommodation and motoring
Access to industry funds and charitable trusts
Through our industry trust funds, members can apply for funding towards education and work place development including travel scholarships and bursaries.
Following a successful strategic review, the UKLF have several positive outcomes which include:
• The development of a UK Leather brand and / or mark
• Representation at major UK and International trade shows
• Innovation and research development to always be at the forefront of technology
• Proactive promotion of the industry with local business/ product case studies
• Influencing education faculties to support and develop the next generation of leather technologist graduates and interns
• Creation of hubs to assist startup businesses
• Development of a UK resource centre where businesses and students can have access to a show case of UK-manufactured leather to help promote and enhance their work.
Membership is open to anyone operating within the leather industry supply chain. For more information on joining the UKLF, as well as membership fees, please contact Milly Fyfe, Business Development Manager on 07591 207375 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
To apply for membership, please download the application form here. Please complete and send to: UK Leather Federation, Leather Trade House, Kings Park Rd, Northampton, NN3 6JD. Alternatively you can scan and email a copy to: email@example.com